Saturday, April 28, 2012

Denver Brewery WalkAbout

I was in Denver last week and was able to take some time to hit up a few breweries that were within "walking distance" from my hotel. I wish I would have had time to check out a couple more that were near that area, but I just couldn't get away from work commitments.

I made some notes on my phone about the beers I was able to sample and would like to share them with everyone. Some are more detailed/complete than others...unfortunately, no pictures for these reviews.

Rock Bottom Brewery

RyePA
7.2% ABV

Appearance:
Cloudy, caramel color, very light spotty lacing.

Smell:
Malty sweetness, slightly sour smell

Taste:
Nothing really to write home about here...no spice or pepperiness that I would expect from a Rye beer. Slightly bitter, dry finish. Hops are there but very weak. I hate to say this but it almost has a Coors/Bud flavor in the mid tones....

Mouthfeel:
Light to medium bodied, doesn't linger much on the tongue. Medium carbonation that pops a bit on the tongue as you swallow.

Overall:
Of the Rye beers I have had the opportunity to try this would be the weakest so far.


Black Diamond Stout
7% ABV

Appearance:
Black with a brown nitro head. Massive full coverage lacing.

Smell:
Chocolate and coffee notes

Taste:
Smooth, chocolate and vanilla, sweet with a very bitter finish.

Mouthfeel:
Full bodied...smooth due to nitro

Overall:
A very nice chocolatey stout. This makes up for the RyePA!


Denver Chophouse and Brewery

ESB EBB
4.5%ABV

Appearance:
Pours clear light amber. Nice full coverage lacing

Smell:
Hint of malts and citrus

Taste:
Bitter front, center, everywhere.

Mouthfeel:
Medium to full bodied.

Overall:
Reminds me of Anchor Steam...a lot!


Denver Beer Co.
Sick location...old garage/auto shop..bar is held up with old car lift pistons. One table also boasts a piston as its base. Easy walk down 16th street mall...cross 2 ped bridges and a sharp right takes you right here!

Kenya Katatina Coffee Stout
5.3%ABV

Appearance:
Dark brown/black with a nice brown head

Smell:
Roasty, coffee, bitter

Taste:
Nice coffee flavor...some chocolate notes.

Mouthfeel:
High carbonation for a stout. Dry bitter finish.

Overall:
A very good coffee style stout.


Muddy Peak IPA
(no ABV info)

Appearance:
Cloudy light caramel, nice lacing.

Smell:
Citrus, resin

Taste:
Hoppy, bitter

Mouthfeel:
Medium body, medium carbonation, bitter finish that lingers nicely.

Overall:
I was at this brewery from 3pm to 8pm and I had quite a few of these....does that tell you anything?



No comments:

Post a Comment