Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bison Organic Chocolate Stout

Bison Brewing
2030 5th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710

I definitely needed to review something other than an IPA today... I dont want anyone to think that all I drink are IPAs, although I have been very partial to them lately. Before I really got on the IPA bandwagon 4 years ago, whenever I chose a beer I leaned toward stouts and porters. When I say "leaned" lets just say my dog's name is Guinness...

I picked up this beer up at my local beer supplier, Sprouts (I think I have given them enough plugs... Its not like I am getting any kickbacks here...) I had seen this beer there many times before but because of my recent penchance for IPAs I had never tried it....This blog is making me open up my brain to new beer selections, the way it was back in college when I was more willing to try new things to keep my roomates at bay.

Reviewing this beer while watching SDSU and UNLV play BBall...GO AZTECS!!!

Enough talk...on to the review.

Organic Chocolate Stout (5.0% ABV)

Appearance:
Pours a clear dark brown. Once in the glass you cannot see though it except on the very edges of the glass where it gives off a slight red tint. Medium brown head ~2cm in height. Lots of medium sized bubbles with very sparse lacing. The head will reform to about half its original size with agitation.

Smell:
Chocolate and cocoa. Roasted oats and a slight hint of nutmeg.

Taste:
Strong taste of cocoa and roastiness. Surprisingly light tasting for a chocolate stout. The medium carbonation actually gives it a very "bright" taste. Slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel:
Sits on the tongue and the top of the palatte. Grabs the tongue lightly once swallowed.

Overall:
Very smooth and drinkable. This is not a "typical" stout with a heavy/thick mouthfeel, the medium carbonation gives this beer a very light taste. I really enjoyed this beer and I would recommend it to anyone who likes stouts. I think this would be good beer to introduce stouts to someone who has never tried one before.

This stout is USDA Certifed Organic.

No comments:

Post a Comment