Thursday, January 26, 2012

San Diego Beer Review: Port Brewing Wipe Out IPA

Port Brewing Co.
155 Mata Way, Suite 104
San Marcos, CA 92069


I have to admit upfront that Port Brewing/Lost Abbey is my favorite brewery. The people who own it are great and down to earth and the vast majority of their employees are the same. The fact that each Pizza Port brews a unique selection of beers is also a huge plus.

Wipe Out IPA (7.0% ABV)

Appearance:
Pours a mostly clear and very light caramel color. It is just cloudy enough that you cannot see all the through the glass. Has a mixture of small tight bubble and a few medium/large bubbles. The head rises to approximately 2cm on initial pour with a retention of about 5mm. The head reforms easily upon agitation.

Smell:
Big citrus here....grapefruit

Taste:
Definately taste the grapefruit with a hint of rind. This beer has a bitter, resiny finish that lingers around the tip and the top of the tongue. Carbonation also bounces off the tip and top of the tongue for a zestiness...

Mouthfeel:
Silky. Grabs the tip and top of the tongue (I know this is getting redundant, but it the best way I can describe it...)

Overall:
A bold West Coast IPA that sets the bar high for all others to follow. This beer is one of my favorites. I really enjoy drinking this beer with spicy food. One of my best experiences with this beer was going to a restaurant in Atlanta called TacoMac (ya weird name, Google it for the story...it is pretty cool) and to my surprise seeing Wipe Out on tap. So I ordered a pint and a plate of their 3 Mile Island wings....spicy food beer heaven...  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment