Friday, January 13, 2012

San Diego Beer Review: Mission Brewery IPA


Mission Brewery 
1441 L Street
San Diego Ca 92101

I have been near Mission Brewery many times for Padres games, but for some unknown reason I have never been inside or had any of their beers...a bit perplexing. My local beer supplier (Sprouts...) had some Mission beers in stock so I grabbed a couple to tryout. First up to the plate was...

Mission IPA (6.8%)

Appearance:
Light caramel coloring, cloudy. Beautiful 1cm head forms on first pour. Nice lacing. Head easily reforms after agitation to regain its initial 1cm height.


Smell:
Floral with sweet undertones. Hint of red licorice or ...Cherry Tootise Pop..?

Taste:
Medium carbonation, great hop character from front to back, from sip to swallow. However, it is not too bitter. Very clean and smooth. The slight maltiness comes through as you press your tongue to the roof of your mouth to swallow.

Mouthfeel:
Hoppiness fills the mouth (again not too bitter) but it is not too heavy.

Overall:
Extremely balanced and drinkable. I really like this beer. As I said earlier I have never had this beer before but I think it just became one of my "go to" beers... I stand IMPRESSED.

This IPA won a Bronze medal at GABF in 2007...I definitely see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment